Lady Lalo

Thursday 21 May 2015

Sticky Honey & Ginger Chicken Stir-fry

Quite often, since starting my Instagram page and this blog I get asked how I have the time to maintain the lifestyle we do. Making food from scratch takes time, Clean Eating takes preparation. Yes, sure enough it does. My answer to these questions is ALWAYS the same. Priorities. 

The biggest lesson that I have learnt throughout my parenting journey so far, is that being a parent is about weighing up your priorities. Everyone's are different, for some it is maintaining the social life and friendships that they had prior to becoming a parent.. I am the first to admit that I have not been the most reliable friend since becoming a mother. I have cancelled plans, made excuses, and failed to get in contact. I have a handful of true friends, to which I hope they know they mean the world to me but right now in this stage of my life, my priorities have shifted. For others it is about progressing in their career, and not letting parenthood get in the way of what they have worked so hard for. I praise these parents, the moment I gave birth to my little lady all aspirations that I had for my career drifted away. It has taken me almost two years to get my head back in the game and start thinking about myself again. For me, it is my families health. Everything else gets put on the back burner, I don't catch up with friends nearly as much as I would like to. I don't maintain my house, nearly as much as I should. I don't pay attention to my own needs (like that eyebrow wax that I keep putting off) or wants, but I am totally and utterly satisfied knowing that my family is eating wholesome, home made, healthy food completely void of any additives and junk.

I hold no judgement to any parent for the priorities they choose, we are all on the same rollercoaster but we all have a different story to tell. In return I hope that no judgement is passed my way. Lately, I have heard remarks such as "a child must be given treats".. to which I completely agree, I think its important to treat ourselves and our children. However, there is no need to encourage unhealthy sugar filled treats, when I can make a healthy alternative that is just as enjoyable. I've also been told that "your child will start to rebel against you " and "you can't put a child on a diet"... this last one hurts me the most. Never, in my whole life have I been on a "diet". I resent that word. Mine and my families relationship with food has never been healthier. We eat when we are hungry, I hardly ever tell my little girl 'no' when she asks for food. I am teaching my child about living a healthy lifestyle, how to nourish her beautiful body and soul with the absolute best fuel available. Nothing makes me prouder then when I take my little lady to the farmers market and she walks around point and naming the fruits and vegetables "Kale", "Zucchini", "Tomato", "Mandarin" ... she isn't even two yet and already has a wonderful understanding of what "REAL FOOD" is.

Lately, there has been a lot of negativity in the media about the Paleo Lifestyle, naming it as a fad diet. I've mentioned before, that we are not a strictly paleo household but we certainly implement a Paleo template into our lifestyle. "Eat Real food grown by farmers, void of any additives, preservatives and packaging" Wow this sounds like a dangerous fad diet, doesn't it? The only ones losing in this scenario are the giants, the fast food chains, the large supermarket brands, the marketing guru's that are so clever at convincing you that the sugar filled yoghurt you are feeding to your child is a 'healthy option'. The ones winning are the farmers, your local butcher or fish monger and of course us - the consumers! Lets get back to basics, stop believing everything that the media sells to us and start implementing a little common sense. Eating real food, grown from the ground instead of being processed in a factory is clearly going to be more beneficial for you and your family.. there really is no argument.

Here is my recipe for my super healthy twist on an old favourite. No need for a pre made stir-fry sauce, it is so easy to make your own with only a few ingredients.



Ingredients:

2 x freerange Chicken Breasts (cut into small bite size pieces)
1 x Carrot (Julienne)
1 x Zucchini (finely chopped)
1 x whole head of Broccoli (cut into small florets)
1 x capsicum (finely chopped)
1 x cup of Green Beans (cut in half)
2 tablespoons Lemon & Garlic seasoning (Preferably organic, I use 'Flavorgod')
6 tablespoons Coconut Aminos (you could also use Tamari)
2 teaspoons fresh Garlic (minced)
1 thumb size piece of fresh Ginger (grated finely)
2 teaspoons Fish Sauce (read your labels for no added sugar and preservatives)
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
2 teaspoon Tapioca Flour
1 heaped tablespoon of Raw Honey
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil (or another good quality fat for frying)

Method:

- Heat Coconut Oil in a large, deep fry pan on high heat
- Add in Chicken and fry it off until just lightly browned, add in Lemon and Garlic seasoning and stir through
- Add all chopped vegetables and stir through well, place a lid on the fry pan for about 5 minutes or until the veggies start to become steamed.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, coconut aminos, ginger, garlic and sesame oil and pour it over the chicken and vegetables - stir through well and bring the heat down
- You should have quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of your pan from the veggies letting out water. Tilt your pan slightly and with a spoon collect that liquid and place it into a bowl. Add your Tapioca flour into that liquid and whisk it in well. Return the liquid to your frypan with chicken and vegetables
- the tapioca flour will start to create a glossy and thick sauce.
- Remove from heat and add in the Raw Honey and stir through just before serving.
- Serve on top of Cauliflower Rice , with a sprinkle of Sesame Seeds on top.

Now excuse me while I go and eat the leftovers for Breakfast... YUM!


I hope you and your family enjoy this meal together.

Love & Gratitude

x



8 comments:

  1. Love this recipe..... Tomorrows dinner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading back through your blog posts....I feel that we'd be great mates! I share your philosophy about healthy eating and priorities about family. Thank you for sharing your recipes and experiences so generously. Even though I am more than 10 years older than you, I look up to you. You are very very inspiring! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading back through your blog posts....I feel that we'd be great mates! I share your philosophy about healthy eating and priorities about family. Thank you for sharing your recipes and experiences so generously. Even though I am more than 10 years older than you, I look up to you. You are very very inspiring! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Roz, thank you so much for your kind words. I am truly humbled. I often wonder whether anyone actually reads my blog posts because I don't get much feedback on them. So thank you, its so nice to know that I am reaching and inspiring people. :)

      Delete
  4. This oness soooo good..can i ask which fish sauce u use.. Its so hard to find a good one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feedback Harleen. I agree, I found it so hard to find a fish sauce that either didn't have preservatives or sugar in it. I ended up buying one from my local Asian grocer but unfortunately it still had one preservative listed. We might have to have a look around online for a decent organic one. I'll let you know what I find. :)

      Delete
  5. Having Trouble FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Want to munch on healthy delicious recipes as soon as TONIGHT?

    Download your amazing Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete