Lady Lalo

Thursday 7 May 2015

Slow cooked Balsamic & Sun dried tomato Quinoa with Grassfed Lamb Shanks

There is an argument within the Paleo community, about whether Quinoa is a seed or a grain. From the research that I have done (a few google searches), I believe it is a seed & therefore it fits in with MY version of a Paleo lifestyle.

I don't mind either way. We follow a 85/15 Paleo lifestyle, however, we follow a 95% clean eating organic lifestyle and on that we don't compromise. The other 5% May be the odd night out or occasion we can't avoid. We never ever count calories and never feel guilty about anything we eat... I believe that everything you put into yours or your children's bodies should have a purpose. If you are not getting any nutritional benefit out of it, than I just don't see the point? After all, food is our fuel (please note, I do not hold any judgement towards anybody for what they feed themselves or their children, believe me before our lifestyle change I fed my child some foods that I would never allow her to eat now, I can not untrain my brain now. When I see packaged foods I see chemicals, fillers, preservatives, additives and numbers. I am more educated now and I can only hope that I am encouraging others to become more educated too... Sorry, I've gotten sidetracked). 

Quinoa has become a favourite with Lady Lalo and with the long list of nutritional benefits (find out more about the benefits of quinoa here:  http://os.care2.com/all/8-health-benefits-of-quinoa#1) I'm more than happy to include it into our weekly or fortnightly meal plan. 

You will notice that my recipes are large enough to feed an army (we are only a family of 3... Two adults and a toddler) but I ALWAYS prepare enough so that there are leftovers. This helps us stay on track for work lunches or even for Breakfast for Lady Lalo. The BEST, most nutrient dense breakfast foods for children are those that are high in good quality fats and protein. It keeps her fuller for longer and we avoid the mid morning slump. Unlike breakfast cereals and breads that are full of sugar and processed carbohydrates that only leave them feeling hungry and grumpy after the sugar high wears off. 

Which leads me to this hearty and rich recipe...  full of good fats, protein, vegetables and healthy carbohydrates.



Ingredients: 
4 x Grassfed Lamb Shanks
2 x cups of Organic Quinoa (washed well and drained)
2 x onions (chopped roughly, I used one brown and one red)
2 x carrots (roughly chopped)
1/2 small Sweet Potato (diced)
2 x zucchinis (roughly chopped)
1 x cup of rehydrated sundried tomatoes (I buy organic dried tomatoes and rehydrate them in a mixture of olive oil and apple cider vinegar)
1.5 cups of Bone Broth
1 x teaspoon of Organic tomato paste
2 x tablespoons of good quality Balsamic Vinegar
1 x teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 x teaspoon of dried marjoram 
1 x teaspoon of Himalayan Salt

Method:

Brown off your Lamb Shanks in some Ghee, duck fat or another good quality fat and set aside. 

Add Quinoa, all vegies, herbs and spices into the slow cooker. 

(Mix through)

Lay your lamb shanks over the quinoa mixture. Mix your tomato paste into the bone broth and pour over the lamb and quinoa (You may think that you don't have enough liquid for the quinoa to absorb but remember that as the lamb cooks the juices and fat will render and the quinoa will soak up all that yummyness). 

Slow cook on high for 4 hrs or low for   6-8 hrs. 

Please note, if you like your quinoa Al Dente and with bite, then this dish is not for you. I've called this 'rissotto' for a reason. 

Once cooked the lamb should fall right off the bone and pull apart with a spoon. Serve the quinoa with flaked lamb on top and a sprinkle of parsley. I think a lovely cucumber and natural yogurt raita would go great on top too (I ran out of time). 

I truly hope you Enjoy this dish!! 

Love and Gratitude

X




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mum giving your gorgeous baby a healthy start in life.. who said healthy food is boring! Definitely trying these 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are lovely, thanks Claire! I hope you enjoy them xx

      Delete
  2. Making this meal today..... Slow cooker is a great asset in any busy families kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are You Having Problems STICKING with the Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to eat healthy delicious recipes TONIGHT?

    Get your amazing Paleohacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete