Lady Lalo

Thursday 6 August 2015

Healthy, Gluten Free Fish Fingers

I attended my first yoga class in 2 years, last night.

It felt so good to be back in the studio. With each stretch my knees cracked, my thighs burned and my breath deepened. There really is nothing as therapeutic as a good yoga session.

It just so happened that last night my instructor announced that we will be focusing on mindfulness this month. The universe definitely put me in the right place at the right time. I’ve been trying hard to me mindful lately, to pay more attention to my surroundings. To be more present in my time spent with my daughter and my husband. 

So often, we have so many things running through our minds at the same time that we become clouded and often overlook life’s simple pleasures. My little lady often teaches me to slow down. To stop and watch the leaves blow on the trees in the wind, to throw pebbles into the lake and watch them splash when they hit the water, to go outside and say good night to the moon every night even in the freezing cold. Children are so good at absorbing their surroundings.  So my mission this month is to remain mindful, and hopefully after this month it won’t be a mission anymore, but a habit.

This recipe came about on Sunday, when we had a beautiful warm balmy day in the middle of winter. We took our little lady to the beach to play and dig in the sand (it was still too cold for a swim). The smell of fresh salty air and the combination of the smell coming from the beach kiosk, called for my healthy variation of Fish and Chips. I also discovered a new fish to cook with, and it was so delicious. 


Ingredients:

1 x tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
1 x tbsp Flaxseeds
2 x strips of Lemon Rind
2 x tbsp Coconut Flour
2 x Free range Eggs
Pinch of Himalayan Salt & Pepper
2 x Wild Caught Hoki Fillets (or white fish of your choice)

Method:

1. Place the Pumpkin Seeds, Flaxseeds and Lemon Rind into a spice grinder or food processor. Process until you have a fine crumb but take it out before the oils start to release and it goes sticky. You want a dry crumb.

2. In a small bowl mix together the crumb mixture, Coconut Flour and Salt & Pepper.

3. In a separate bowl whisk your eggs, and season if desired.

4. Take your fish and cut into fingers or leave whole, dip your fish into the egg mix, than coat with the crumb mixture. I dipped mine back into the egg mixture again after it was crumbed to ensure the batter stuck.

5. Place your crumbed fish onto a baking tray, lined with baking paper and bake on 180 degrees for approx 10 minutes on each side or until your fish is cooked and your batter is crispy. Cooking times will vary depending on the type of fish you are using and the size of the fish. Be very gentle when flipping your fish, especially if using Hoki fillets, it is a very flaky soft fish and comes apart easily.

Alternatively you could shallow fry your fish in Coconut Oil to get a more authentic crunchy Fish batter.

Serve over a delicious summer salad, some sweet potato fries or steamed veggies. A lovely homemade Mayonnaise would work great or for something more simple you could drizzle a little Tahini with Lemon Juice over the top. YUM!


Love & Gratitude

x



1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete