Lady Lalo

Sunday 26 July 2015

Chinese style braised Pork Belly

Its been a little while since my last post, I have been finding it hard to keep juggling all the balls that is life without dropping a few along the way.

I'm trying to spend less time using technology and more time engaged with my daughter. A few weeks ago I started to notice that each time I was looking at my phone, my little lady would take my face in her little hands and turn it towards her and away from whatever I was looking at. That was a little wake up call for me. So, I apologise if I say I will post a recipe and it doesn't happen until a week or two later, or I forget completely. I do this blog for me, its something I enjoy and I truly hope it provides inspiration and help to others that are looking to transition their families to a wholefoods lifestyle. However, my little lady is and always will be my number one priority and I think as mother's or parents in general, we can all agree that sometimes we just have to prioritise and make sacrifices.

Today I am home from work, nursing a mind exploding headache and a silent tone. I've lost my voice, I feel like winter has finally defeated me. All winter I have had nothing but a slight runny nose and a few sneezes and it diminishes as quickly as it arrived. I've been so lucky, until now. I've been feeling sombre this past week. Tired of the repetitiveness, tired of the cold weather, tired of the daily grind. I am so eager for long summer days and watching my baby splash in the paddle pool at the beach, the warm sun on my skin and sweet stone fruits. All my life my moods have always been weather dependent.

On a more positive note, the rich and delicious comfort foods that come out of winter always help to perk my mood. This Chinese style braised Pork Belly surely put a smile on my face and will not just be a winter warmer, this is good enough to eat in all seasons.

Ingredients:

1.5kg Freerange Pork Belly
1.5 x extra large garlic Cloves or 6 small cloves
4cm piece of fresh Turmeric
The juice from 3 oranges
2 tbsn Apple Cidar Vinegar
2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1/4 tsp hot Paprika
1 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Himalayan Salt (or season to taste for children)
1 heaped tsp Organic Seeded Mustard
200g Organic Tomato Paste
300ml Bone Broth
1 tbsn Ghee (for frying)

Method:

1. Cut Pork Belly into Strips or cubes (depending on how you would like to serve it), set aside.
2. Place Garlic and Turmeric into the bowl of your food processor and process until broken down.
3. Add all other ingredients into the food processor and process until you have a rich smooth sauce
4. Brown off your Pork Belly strips in Ghee. Only fry the skin side down. Once browned off and skin starting to crisp. Place the Pork belly into your slow cooker or pressure cooker. Pour the sauce over the top of the pork and move around to make sure the pork is completely coated.
5. Lid on and slow cook for 4 hours or Pressure Cook for 30 minutes.
6. Once cooked the Pork belly should be soft enough to pull apart with a fork.

You will notice that the sauce has doubled due to the fat that has liquidized from the pork. Serve the Pork Belly over stir fried vegetables (I served with Cabbage, Zucchini and Snow Peas) or Cauliflower rice. Do not discard the sauce, you can use this again. My husband poured this sauce over poached chicken for lunch the following day. It is delicious!

My hubby said this is definitely a dish that I will need to make again, and with how simple it was to make I have absolutely no issues with that!

Love and Gratitude

x







No comments:

Post a Comment