Lady Lalo

Thursday 18 June 2015

Slow Cooked Rainbow Bolognese with Quinoa

Yesterday I attended an online webinar run by a very successful Australian business & wellness coach. I came out of it filtering in my head what I actually thought was beneficial to me and my dream of becoming a Health and Wellness Coach and what items had no relevance at all. Overall, I was a little disappointed in the approach that was taken by the host. It’s been running over and over in my head and the more I think about it, the more sterile and distant it feels from my actual dream & reality of what I want to do. The approach felt fake, like a pyramid scheme with a pretty little face but a hidden agenda. I was so saddened by this.

I started to think that I was naive to genuinely feel like I could help and guide people on a healthier path. Free of fad diets, packaged foods and misconceptions. Free of ulterior motives, I want to teach parents about healthier food choices for our future generations. How to read labels, how to decipher ingredients, how to create healthy nourishing meals from scratch without the need for pre-packaged additive filled foods. Just as I was starting to question my own motives and dreams, I suddenly remembered something that the host from the webinar said that resonated with me. That the biggest hurdle that Wellness coaches face is Self-Doubt. This is something that I have struggled with throughout my whole working career, talking myself out of following my passion because I over analyse and convince myself that I don’t have what it takes. I started to realise that I was doing the exact same thing here, by blaming the approach that the host took to overshadow my own disbelief within myself.

Isn’t it amazing how our mind works when it is clear? 2 years ago I would have never been able to put the pieces of this puzzle together so clearly. I would have over analysed, started to get anxiety and probably would have ended up having a panic attack a few days or weeks later from pent up worry that I was not on the right path. Now, with a clean mind and clean body (free of any brain clouding nasties) I see that I was trying to convince myself to let go of my dreams yet again… But this time, I’m stronger than that. So I choose to overcome the self-doubt, to push through, to fill out that enrolment form, write myself a list of To-do’s and get my head back in the game. Because, when you think about something every moment of every day, than that’s enough of a sign to tell you to follow that dream and make it a reality. Just as a side note, I’d like to add that I haven’t had a panic attack or anything that even comes close to resembling a feeling of anxiety since mid-September 2014 (over 9 months ago) and we commenced transitioning to our wholefoods lifestyle at the end of September. Wow!

Now, as I was tuned into the Webinar yesterday, and my baby was napping, I was also multitasking and cooking dinner, whilst writing down this recipe (Because I’m a mumma, and we are superwoman).


I’ve named this recipe “Rainbow Bolognese” because it literally has vegies of every shade of the rainbow in it. If you have a fussy eater and struggle to get enough vegetables into their diet, you need to give this one a go. It’s a SO simple throw it all in and leave it for 4 hours type of recipe – the ones I love most! And as always I cook for an army so there are always plenty of leftovers for lunch and even Breakfast, which is exactly what I had for Brekkie this morning. 

Please always keep in mind that my recipes are designed around my toddler, so I always go easy on seasoning and spices. Please season to your own individual taste and add in fresh herbs of choice. I didn't have fresh herbs on hand so I used dried. 



Ingredients:

1kg Grassfed Beef Mince
1 onion (diced)
2 tablespoons Garlic powder
2 Carrots (grated)
2 Zucchini (grated)
6 button mushrooms (finely chopped)
1/2 head of Purple Cabbage (finely chopped)
3 teaspoons Organic Tomato Paste (separated in 1.5 teaspoon lots)
2 teaspoons Italian mixed dried herbs (Basil, oregano, thyme, parsley)
1/2 cup Bone Broth
1 Tablespoon Ghee (for frying)
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds (optional, I add these for the extra nutritional factor and because they absorb some of the liquid throughout the cooking process and allow the sauce to thicken)
Himalayan Salt - season to individual taste.
1 can Organic crushed Tomatoes

Method:

1. Over medium heat, sauté onion in ghee until translucent.
2. Add beef mince to onion and brown off well. Discard any excess liquid that is in the pan with the mince, and keep frying off. 
3. Add Garlic Powder to the mince and stir through, add 1.5 teaspoon Tomato paste and stir through well.
4. Transfer the mince into the slow cooker, add all other ingredients in and stir well. 
5. Slow cook for 4 hours. season to taste once cooked. 



Method for Quinoa:

I use the same rule for Quinoa as is for Rice, one cup seeds to 2 cups of liquid. I always cook my quinoa in Bone Broth, it soaks up and absorbs all that nutrient dense goodness and adds a lot more flavour. I use a very simple microwave rice cooker to cook my quinoa usually for about 8-10 minutes, making sure to take it out every 3-4 minutes to stir and add in more liquid if required. If you don't want to use the microwave this can easily be done on the stove top too. 

My recipes are made to be quick and easy to encourage time poor families to eat nutritious healthy foods. Yes, I may use short cuts and non traditional methods of cooking by utilising appliances like pressure cookers, slow cookers and the microwave from time to time, because I am a working mumma and I just don't have the time to spend hours on end in the kitchen. Of course, if you don't like to use the same methods of cooking, please feel free to adapt my recipes to suit YOUR style, there really is no one size fits all. :)

Love & Gratitude

x

1 comment: